- Description of what the Hacknight is about
- Description of what Open San Diego is about
- Code for America Summit May 26th - 29th. In Oakland CA. If you are interested in that talk to Jerry
- Utilize the Slack Channel if you aren’t on the slack channel go to opensandiego.org to join
Description of current projects
- Meals Count
- Description: USDA provides a lot of funding to schools, but certain districts can arrange the schools to achieve certain optimizations to maximize funding goals. White Hat Gerrymandering.
Current State - Nikolaj is working with work California Food Action Group and SD Hunger to determine how to optimize the data model. So right now building a tool to gather interest. So May 15th is when they release the data and it has to be done by June 15th. See Nikolaj after to see what needs to be done. More data science work needs to be done, but mainly grooming data for presentation.
- Lead: Nikolaj
- House Cleaning
- Description: If you are interested in cleaning up the repositories and seeing what is going on, reach out to Nikolaj
- Tacos-n-transit: Give San Diego people to see how they can access the closest taco shop using public transportation
- Lead: Marissa
- How do we want to rate transit
- How can we identify taco shops
- P2p Lending: See Github readme
- Description: Jeffery manages the branch for the Linda Vista library. The idea is that there are a lot of books that people have collected in the neighborhood that the library can’t necessarily host due to time. SO its an experiment to see, how a proof of concept would look like. So currently the backend data models are all but done. Reach out to either Nick or Nikolaj if you are interested.
- Lead: Nick, Nikolaj, Geoff
- Description: Taking data from 311/getitdone and making it more graphically appealing.
The website that is a live feed of the getitdone stuff going on, so the basic idea is just to get some better management tools for BIDs (business improvement district). The business improvement districts (PB/Gaslamp/etc) are actually responsible for cleaning up improving their areas. So if they improve their districts it would be beneficial for them to advertise what they did, and this User Interface could display what they have done.
- Voters Voice Initiative
- Description: Amy Toblier- Voters Voice Initiative, a bunch of nonpartisan activist groups to bring a publicly financed program to San Diego called democracy dollars. To solve the problem of people feeling disconnected from the voting process and the political process. They need a good website to show how candidates get their funding, see who is voting against them, see their voting records, etc. There are good laws to get the data, but not necessarily to see and filter through the data to make it easy for the voter.
web6.seattle.gov/ethics/electrions/charts.aspx – Seattle already has a website.
The way to do it right now in the public San Diego electronic filing and disclosure page is very archaic. You can do it but it’s just downloading a lot of excel documents.
Data.inewssource.org has done a little bit more work on this, but it’s still not user-friendly.
In the end, we would like something like opensecrets.org. See Amy and possibly Jerry if you are interested in that.
- Lead: Amy Tobia from Voters Voice Coalition from Represent US, Women Voters, and Common Cause
- Glass Hand: If someone loses their jobs what do they do next? There are resources available but no one knows. Ralph would like to put together an AI driven resource for people to contact.
- “What should I do now?” An AI to let people decide what they need to do next. Would answer hypothetically any problem/issue.
- Lead: Rob Gordon
- Project Templates: A way to integrate projects into Open San Diego’s github.
- Use a project-template https://github.com/opensandiego/project-template if you would like to pitch a new project.
- Utilize GitHub issues to chunk out the different type of things that need to be done and show what issues need to be done and how they need to be further broken up.
- Submit on the opensandiego.org website to the contact list to put out your skills so we can reach out to you if you need help
Breakout into teams